Translate

Thursday 28 February 2013

Day 20: Sunday, Funday!


Feb. 10th, 2013--Sunday, Funday!

What another lovely day here in San Marcos! As always, the weather was perfect so I spent my early morning organizing things around the house, waiting for the water to come back on as it was out in the whole area), making rice to use for my dinner, and catching up on my blog and phone calls home before heading out for some fun in the sun.  I knew it was going to be a good day when I sat outside eating breakfast and caught a glimpse of a squirrel that appears from time to time in my garden.  It always strikes me as odd since I’ve never seen one anywhere else and it seems out of place amongst the banana trees and bamboo.  It always makes me smile and think there’s a little piece of home watching over me here.

I had planned to learn the traditional weaving from one of the local moms, Maria.  She runs a local bookstore, Tekonëm, that is partnered with the school so I’ve worked with her and gotten to know her well.  She is a kind soul and an “out of the box thinker” and I love her spirit! Her daughter, Elizeth, is in the 3rd grade at our school.  Anyway, she had said to come by anytime to learn so I made an attempt today but the store was closed. 

Traditional Weaving


Instead, as I was walking down, I ran into a Canadian family from the school, Manda and her 2 daughters, Zella Rose and Mayla.  As we walked down to the beach together, we ran into 2 other families from school and my neighbors selling their jewelry—I love small town life!  When we got to the beach, Manda and her crew joined up with Dave and Nicki, another Canadian/British family from our school.  I decided to head a bit over to my shady palm tree spot, and where I would feel a bit less weird sunbathing in a bikini near families from school.  As much as I love small town life, that’s one aspect that I’m still getting used to.  At home, we’re always taught to “keep business and pleasure separate.”  That’s impossible here.  And while I don’t mind it for most day to day things (like Nicki and I joining up to make a women’s soccer team), I can’t quite seem to get used to sitting around in my bikini with kids and parents from school.  Not sure I’ll ever get used to that one. 

Equally weird is living in a town amongst native locals, foreign locals (that’s me), and tourists.  In Paraguay, I was the only foreigner amongst locals and the rest of my travels have been as a tourist.  I’ve never had to live amongst a strange combination of all 3 and it’s taking some getting used to for navigating things (like making sure vendors recognize me and know I live here and am not a tourist.  Even still, there’s a big price difference for locals and foreigners but there’s still a gray area of foreign locals who own hotels and have lots of money and those of us earning local currency, like me).  It was really easy for me to gain the trust of locals and get to know people in Paraguay since I was the only foreigner and was therefore a novelty others were curious to get to know.  Also, I was always respectful of the culture and never mistreated anyone.  I’m finding it more difficult to get to know locals here--in part because it’s easy to get caught up getting to know other foreigners and in part because locals are so used to foreigners around that I’m not a novelty.  There’s also a long history of locals getting screwed by foreigners in land deals and disrespectful tourists so it’s harder to earn someone’s trust.  I’m sure it will come with time, but for now, I find it a bit odd and am slowly getting to know the locals I work with, my homeowners, and the shop owners. 

Speaking of my homeowners.  The family reminds me so much of one of the families from my town in Paraguay (Don Eustaquio).  They are forward thinking, humble and kind, and hardworking.  There are 6 adult children, 3 girls and 3 boys and all 3 girls went to college to become teachers.  Something almost unheard of around here where most people don’t study beyond middle school, especially girls. 

After a few hours of reading at the beach, I called it a day.  But, not before learning that my precious little beach didn’t exist last year because of the high level of the lake.  The lake has no natural outlet to let water out so the level never goes down once it rises.  Apparently the only reason it went down this year is because of the earthquakes.  I hope it stays around a bit ‘cuz I quite enjoy it.  Otherwise, the only option is to sit on the rocks.  

As I made my way back, I stopped to buy a few items for my dinner for Thai pineapple fried rice.  I decided to stop in shops I don’t normally go to so I could comparison shop for prices.  I now know which stores have the cheapest toile paper, wine, nuts, and chocolates—all I really need to know.  I got all the essentials I needed plus a piece of delicious banana bread.  Then I continued up the road to my pineapple vendor.  He was kind enough to slice it open for me and put it in a bag since I a) don’t have a sharp knife for cutting pineapple b) had no clue how to slice one open (I watched carefully so I know ho next time).  It was a cute exchange trying to get the right change back as his 8-year-old daughter tried to do the math in her head.   I also stopped to buy some more yarn.  I try to exchange names with every vendor/store owner I interact with and I always quiz them the next time to see if they remember my name.  I was happy to discover that the librería owner where I bought the yarn remembered mine.  And then, as I left the store, I ran into María and Elizeth and was greeted with giant smiles and hugs.  It’s moments like these that remind me that I have to be patient with myself and recognize that I am getting to know the locals, little by little. 

The rest of my afternoon was spent cooking and eating my Thai pineapple rice, writing my blog in a hammock, crocheting outside in my patio, and enjoying another hot shower—dare I say I believe he finally fixed it (knock on wood)!! J  I had cooked a large portion of the rice in hopes that it would be my dinner all week, in place of the usually potato chips or french fries and fresh coconut I’ve been eating.  I’m sorry to say I already broke down and got some chips again today…but, everything happens for a reason, and as I entered the store, I bumped into Lilly (a mother at our school and the owner of a local hotel) and I was invited to join their soccer practice tomorrow evening----can’t wait! And I think the healthy exercise at the expense of a tiny bag of chips was worth the trade off! J

1 comment: