Translate

Monday 4 February 2013

Guatemala Day 1: Arriving to Guate!







27, January, 2013 (no, I’m not dyslexic, that’s the way most of the rest of the world writes their dates)

Arriving in Guatemala:

It’s Sunday afternoon while I write this and it was exactly a week ago today that I arrived in Guatemala.  I’ve accomplished so many things in just one short week; including but not limited to moving into a new house, working a week at my new job, almost dying and then recovering from food poison, slicing open and twisting an ankle on a giant boulder, swimming in lake Atitlan, and learning how to cook anything, including pizza on a stovetop.  It’s been quite an adventure so far to say the least!

Cooking pizza on the stove. I don’t have an oven (but my friends do) and it’s a gas stove, but luckily, I don’t have to turn the gas on and off each time like I did in Paraguay and freaked me out every time.

So, where do I begin? I suppose the beginning.  After a flight delay of 6 days (yup, you read that right, see previous blog entry), I arrived at BWI airport on the 20th at 5am, fingers and toes crossed that my flight would actually be leaving that day.  Luckily, it did, and the girl who checked me in helped me force my overstuffed bag closed and didn’t charge me extra for the other, overweight one.  My first flight from BWI to Ft. Lauderdale was pretty uneventful, although uncomfortable.  The flight was full and the seats did not recline at all (again, budget airline) and I was glad to have my water with me since they even charged for that.  Although seated like a contortionist, I was tired enough to sleep an unrestful sleep for about an hour of the 2 hour flight. 

I was a bit nervous about my connection in Florida since I only had about 30 minutes in between flights. Luckily, the terminal was the smallest (and most crowded) I had ever seen and the next gate was right next doors.  It was so small, I even had time to go to the toilet and buy an organic salad (it was good)! I felt like I was already in Guate since everyone around me was speaking Spanish.  Actually, everyone at my gate in Baltimore was speaking Spanish too since most people were headed to Central America and it was comforting to know that, even after years of not living in a Spanish-speaking country and at 5 in the morning, my brain slipped right back into el español.

I lucked out on the next leg of the flight from Florida to Guatemala City (also about a 2.5 hour flight) and had an empty seat next to me so I was able to lie down, although ironically, couldn’t sleep. Towards the end of the flight, I met a Finnish girl seated behind me who had already been to Guate several times.  We exchanged stories and emails, and she may come visit me next week.  Plus, if I’m being honest here, it was nice to have someone to leave my bags with while I went to the bathroom.  J  No problems with the bags, they were there waiting when I got off the plane, customs was a breeze (although I did have a slight panic when I realized I didn’t have a return flight and quickly invented a story in my head just in case), and my shuttle driver was outside with my name on a sign waiting for me.  I felt special! J

The school had arranged for the driver, Domingo, to meet me and I was glad since I was running on little-to-no sleep and had some errands to run that could only be done in the city, before heading to my remote village.  The first sights I saw of Guatemala as we left the airport included Dominoes pizza, several Citibanks, the zoo, lots of Burger Kings, and Shell gas stations. I mentioned to Domingo that I wanted to stop to go to an ATM, buy a cell phone chip, and eat lunch.  He said he knew just the place for us to go.  I was excited to have my first Guate experience and curious to know where he would take me—It was none other than….Walmart! Yup, my first “local” experience in Guate was at Walmart.  And he was shocked to learn that we had Walmart at home too. J

Nonetheless, it was still an experience, and nothing is ever simple! My first “to-do” was to take out money from the ATM for the month since my village has no bank.  The first 2 machines I tried gave me error messages.  I was starting to panic that it was my card when the 3rd one finally worked (except, it would only give me a minimum amount and only let me do that 2 times).  So, I left the city with less than half the amount I needed for the month.  (Luckily, later in the week, I took a trip for work to a town with a bank and was able to get more money because by that point I was already down to 90 Quetzales (about $10) for the rest of the month. 

After the ATM, we went to buy a SIM card chip for my phone.  It’s a phone I bought while in Jordan and I’ve used it all over the world: Europe, Asia, etc., simply buying a local chip in each new country.  I bought the chip, the guy put it in and….voila, nothing! Damn thing wouldn’t work here.  I was so tired and hungry, I just bought the cheapest phone they had (about $12), and we got on our way to eating in the food court.  I will say this, although it was Walmart, it was a Sunday and was a hopping place for the Guatemalans so I didn’t really feel like I was in Wally world.  And it’s definitely a different clientele than the ones back home.  Food court options were slim (except for Taco Bell) for vegetarians, but we found a Ma and Pop place with local food.  I had some sort of egg-covered asparagus with beets and tortillas.  Not the best, but it filled my belly.  (Lucky for me, my town, San Marcos, La Laguna is extremely vegetarian-friendly!!) After lunch, I quickly bought some things I thought I might not be able to by in my town or knew would be cheaper in the city (toilet paper, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, etc.) and we set on our way. 

By this point, it was close to 3pm (I landed around 1) and as much as I tried to persuade Domingo to stop at Office Depot for a filing cabinet the school had asked me to buy, it was a no go.  SO, a double-fail for me on the first 2 assignments I had for work—arrive on time and get a filing cabinet L The trip took about 3.5 hours, including all my private bathroom stops, and was a good chance to catch up on sleep (had the entire van to myself) and learn about Domingo’s family.  We even picked up his wife and daughter for part of the way.  The first part of the drive was not much to write home about, but the second half was a bit slower as the roads would disappear at times and turn into giant potholes of dirt (reminded me of Laos roads) on windy, mountainous routes.  As we approached my town, San Marcos, it was right around sunset and it was a beautiful drive overlooking the lake and the town, with all the lights. 

My Kitchen
I was nervous we wouldn’t find my contacts since we hadn’t established a meeting point, other than “in town” and was wondering why no one else seemed to notice this oversight. And then we pulled into “town” and I saw why.  There’s literally (like that, Jenny?) one spot in town for a car and sure enough, that’s where Andrea, a teacher at my school, was waiting for me.  She was sweet and bought me a 5-gallon jug of water as a house-warming gift, for which I was VERY grateful! She showed us the way to my house where Josh, the co-founder of the school (American) had prepped the house, down to fresh flowers on the table!


Pieces of Home to watch over me :) 
Kitchen, Desk, Bed
                                                    

We took a quick 20-minute walk through town (it’s only that big) and then said our goodbyes for the night.  It was around 7pm and I was feeling good and anxious to unpack.  It had been over a year and a half since I had lived in my own place…or any place for more than a few months for that matter and I was quite looking forward to settling in.  I was so gung ho and after about 30 minutes of unpacking, I hit a wall and called it a night.  It was a good thing I got that rest because the next morning, I hit the ground running at work and haven’t looked back since!

No comments:

Post a Comment