Translate

Monday 25 February 2013

Blessed, Fearless Weekend!


February 24th, 2013

(I'm posting out of order today since I thought this was too good to wait a month to catch up on other posts...plus, day 7 was a bit snippy and I wanted to end on a happier note! Hope you can get over it!)

Friday:

Wow! What a weekend! I started off the weekend with not may plans, as usual, but ended up with a fabulously filled few days! After a hectic week at work, I left around 4 pm on Friday and wanted to go for a quick run.  Instead, I headed straight to Josh and Courtney's for a happy hour (aren't you proud, Jenny?!).  Everyone from school went and we had a nice few hours of hanging out in their absolutely beautiful patio while eating tostadas with homemade guacamole, cake, and popcorn. There was also coffee, beer, wine, and hibiscus juice.  I went for the wine.

While we were sitting there, we heard the water jug guys calling out to see if anyone wanted one.  I did so I borrowed Mirabai, their 4 year old, and she came with me while the guys changed out my 5 gallon jug.  Her first question to me was, "where are your shoes?"  At the party, she had tried on my sandals and she now insisted I change shoes so that she could try on a different pair back at the party. She then proceeded to explain in great detail how she would have her mom make her a pair just like mine.  Gotta love a girl who knows what she wants (and has my taste in shoes)!
Said Shoes, sandals first, flats second. Very practical.


I left the party around 6pm and ran to the store to buy minutes for my cell phone since it was "Triple TIGO."  TIGO is the cell provider I use and about once a week they offer a promotion where whatever amount of minutes you buy, you get 3 times the amount if you buy it that day.  I was down to zero so it worked out perfectly.  In case you were wondering, family and friends can purchase minutes for my phone and they are always triple, plus I get free minutes to call the USA.  If you're interested, feel free to check it out.  I won't ever say no! (end shameless plug here)

With minutes on my phone and a few minutes of downtime to shower, I got ready for my night out with Andrea.  She arrived while I was in the shower but was happy to wait a few minutes outside while I finished up and could open the door.  She and I spent a few minutes looking at photos and hanging out at home before we went to town.  Neither of use goes out much-me because I'm lame, her because she has a child, so we weren't sure where to go.  We asked a few people but there didn't seem to be much going on.  We ended up at a restaurant, Fe, and enjoyed some red wine, live music from a Mexican/American couple, and great girly gossip/life dreams.

Around 8:30 pm, we both decided to call it a night.  Mostly because we both knew we had to walk home alone and neither one of us was looking forward to it.  I know lots of girls who do it and everyone swears it's safe, but I've always lived by the "better to be safe than sorry" motto so I was a bit nervous.  I brought my mace and had it ready, just in case.  The walk from the restaurant to the center of the plaza was fine, as there were some people around and lights on. In the plaza, there were lots of people as well so I was okay.  It was only the last little bit between the plaza and my house that I was worried about because it's a dark, isolated path behind the abandoned high school.

I spotted a teacher from school in the plaza and stopped to say hello (and perhaps ask him to accompany me home), but then saw 2 teenagers headed up my path so I quickly said goodbye and caught up with them to walk together.  Turns out they were super sweet and live next door to me.  I told them to come by anytime, and Saturday evening they did! They also brought along their cousin (I forget her name, but they were Mabel and Sofia) and we had a nice chat.  They told me, "we've never met anyone like you! Most foreigners barely say hi, but you just smile and talk so much!"  I guess someone finally appreciates my non-stop talking! :)

Unfortunately, the sugar and wine caught up with me and I ended up waking up multiple throughout the night.  Luckily, I had just gotten internet hooked up at my house the day before so I was able to watch Modern Family and The Mindy Project a ll night :)  I'm one of only 4 people in the town who now have satellite internet and it's pretty awesome! I debated getting it or not.  One, for the obvious reason of cost.  Two, because I was kind of enjoying not having it and not having that distraction at home.  Plus, it forced me to be social and go to a cafe to use internet.  But, in the end, I got it and, at least for now, and super happy with it.  I was even able to Skype a few times with it and it actually worked!

Saturday:

I woke up early, around 7, and decided to finally go for a run since I hadn't been all week. I ran my usual route towards the neighboring town of Tzununa.  I tried to find the house of Raj, an Indian guy who I had met during a run a few weeks back.  He used to make coconut oil and he said I could come by any time to learn. Today I decided to take him up on that offer...only I couldn't find the house.  As I made my way up my path, I saw Aniceto, my landlord, who just happened to be going to Raj's house! I grabbed some water and left with him.  On the way, we walked through Barrio 1, which I had yet to see so that was nice.

When we arrived at his house, he was just finishing up breakfast with a friend and a Spanish woman (I forget her name, but it was probably Maria) who was staying with him a few days.  She and I chatted a bit while he and Aniceto looked at the construction site that Aniceto would begin working on Monday.  I also met Paola and her 2 year old son, Kevin, and her sister Heidi, who both work to cook and clean for Raj.  Paola is the president of a local woman's group who just started making shampoo and wants to open a restaurant.  I'm excited about the possibilities that could come out of working with her in the future.

Paola and "Maria" left to San Pedro for shopping while Raj, Heidi, Kevin, and I stayed behind.  Raj and I drank hot chocolate (it's straight, pure coco that's big here, not like nestle) while overlooking his insanely beautiful view.  See for yourself.


I ended up staying for 2.5 hours, and that was after trying to leave for awhile! He was SO nice and it was interesting to share life stories.  He's a 71 year old widower from India, but spent most of his life in Chicago, and the past 14 years in San Marcos.  He is so kind a generous and even offered me a part of his land to build a house and/or utilize garden space to plant my seeds.  I had also mentioned that I was making goat cheese and he offered to buy my first batch.  Don't worry, it wasn't in a creepy, I want something from you sort of way.  He just really is that nice!

Since we had arrived at 8 am on a Saturday morning, unannounced, to a man's house I had met for 2 minutes on the road, 2 weeks prior, I wasn't sure how I would be received.  Bu,t I'm glad I didn't let fear stop me because it ended up being a great morning! I have to keep remembering that cultural norms are different here, and it's okay to show up unannounced...I love that (at least when I'm the one showing up unannounced).

When I got home, Sebastian was still working in my yard to prepare the land for putting in my garden.  I can not say enough wonderful things about by landlord and how much they have accommodated my requests in the house.  They are almost finished building me a fence and are now preparing the land, tilling the dirt and removing all the rocks in it so that it's good dirt for planting.  They are also going to build me beds for growing everything.  I'm really excited for that to be ready!

I cleaned everything in my house today and washed the floor. Even though I have a tiny house, byt he time I had dusted everything I could think of, hand washed every pair of shoes, etc. it was almost 3 hours of cleaning.  I was tired of not being able to go barefoot in my house because it constantly feels like there's dirt on the floor, not matter how many times I sweep it.  I'm trying out a "no shoes" rule to see if this makes a difference.  I'm also considering hiring someone to clean the house a few days a week.  Not so much because I need it, but because I can afford it and it will help someone local out.  Plus, it helps save y lower back so it's really a win-win, no brainer.

 I was planning to learn how to make a stained-glass window with Aniceto (for my bathroom) but that didn't end up happening so I ate lunch, rested a few minutes, and read some of a cultural book about Guatemala before heading to Tikonem for a weaving class with Maria.  As always, I ran into a few people in town, including Tania, a mom from school who works with street dogs and is going to find one for me!  At Tikonem, I ate my "usual" of pecan pie, a chocolate chip cookie, and milk.  They don't believe me that I'm actually a salt-tooth since I eat that almost daily now...it's too damn good!

Maria was finishing up with Andres, and New Yorker who has he border his clothes with the traditional border.  He runs a local soup kitchen and invited me to a fundraising event later that night.  He also does Spanish tutoring and is going to help find me clients.  Once they were done, she and I began class.  It was fun to learn and I was working on a silk belt that is the traditional wear for women to hold up their "skirt" since it's really just a piece of wrapped fabric.  I was shocked to learn that one women's blouse costs between 500 and 600 Quetzales---a year's wage for lots of people.  But, after learning the process, I understand a why.  In order to do the weaving, you have to strap yourself in around your lower back.  It was actually good support and therapeutic to my aching back.

While we were working, Maribel, a teacher at school, and Marta and Manda, moms from school,all stopped in at various times and talked.  I love the small-town life! Maria and I had some great conversations.  She's a local woman but is very progressive in her thinking.  She asked me about birth-control and many other taboo topics that are just not talked about here (and I had just read about in the cultural book).  She also talked about how her sons and husband help cook and clean, saying, "they have hands too!"  I love her!   While we were on the topic of women's reproductive health, I mentioned to her some of the studies linking tampons and pads to ovarian cancer, infertility, and other health problems; mostly due to the chemicals used in cotton farming.  I told her I had some organic cotton, reusable pads and she was excited to learn to make them.  We may buy a sewing machine together to make them and to train other local women to sew (once we learn how to ourselves) so that they can earn income for their family. I'm loving all these side projects, reminds me of my Peace Corps days.


On the way home, I ran into Johnny and his son, Yago, who invited me to Japanese food but I only had about an hour before I was to head out for the night so I took a raincheck.  I rested up (aka watched an episode of Raising Hope) and then set out for the night with Savannah and Anderson (my Aussie/Brazilina neighbors) and Manda (a Canadian mom from school).  We went to Fe for the fundraising party.  I hadn't planned on spending much money since I'm down to my last Q until I make it to the city on Tuesday to find an ATM (and get paid) but there was a Q20 cover fee...and then I "had" to get a Q25 mojito (it was for the children)! :) We met up with Andrea (Guatemalan teacher) and Nikki and Dave (Brit/Canadian parents from school) and also ran into 2 other parents from school (Russian and Lithuanian)...I love this jumbalaya of cultures!  I was also very pleasantly surprised to see a few local families at the party (when I say local, I'm referring to indigenous Mayan).  I was about to hide my drink when I saw some students and their families, until I saw the mom chug back her beer so I figured I was safe.  The dj was alright and it was a fun night of mingling and dancing.  Manda and I walked home together around 10:30 with everyone else telling us how lame we were :)  I'm cool with it though since I have now officially gone out twice...in one weekend--big party weekend for me! :)


My San Marcos friends--neighbors and parents from school.


Sunday:

I woke up early today and wrote most of this blog and then finished washing my clothes from the day before.  As I was nearing the end, Courtney called and invited me over to brunch at their house.  I had already eaten, but have you ever known me to turn down food?! So, I finished up the washing and then went to town to buy a pineapple to bring with me.  We ate fresh crepes that Josh made and had a nice time chatting.  I got some good advice from them on places to go see during Semana Santa when we have a week's vacation.  I borrowed their guide book and am excited about my first trip in Guatemala.

I spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the quiet at home, painting my nails, coloring a drawing from school, and picking out the stone and string for a gift that Savannah is surprising me with.  Tonight we are heading to the Japanese restaurant to enjoy a meal before they leave on Tuesday to India.  I hope they come back soon! Apparently, a couple with a 4-month old baby are moving in...hope the walls are sound-proof and the baby likes to play :) I'm down to Q83 (about $10) to last me for 3 days, until I go to the city with a bank, but it should be worth it! **Update, we ended up changing plans to go to the Japanese place tomorrow and Savannah and I went to Moonfish instead tonight.  I had a falafel sandwich on fresh baked bread (don't worry, I took my Gluten-Ease pills) and topped it off with a brownie with almond slices.  It was heaven.

As the day is ending, I'm feeling relaxed, content, grateful that I don't have to prepare any lessons or lunch for the week and glad that I quieted my fears to experience so many great things this weekend!










2 comments:

  1. Love reading about your new life Dani! Love that you are going to make goat cheese and plant stuff in your garden, future goals of my own! If you stay in Guatemala long enough I may have to visit you. xoxo Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, friend! how are your travels going? come see me anytime...would love it!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete