Translate

Monday 25 February 2013

Day 7: Recovering Travel Snob


January 27th, 2013

By Sunday, all signs of the poison were out of my body and it was time to reenergize with some fuel!  I was still hesitant on eating so Peter sent me a list of do’s/don’ts of eating after such a spell.  I started the day off with a bean and pasta soup I made and then hung around a few hours to make sure it was staying down.  During that time, I met my neighbors, a Brazilian guy named Anderson and an Aussie girl, Savannah.  They are artisans who make and sell jewelry.  They have been here about a month and plan to remain about one more before continuing their travels around Central and South America.  They are both very sweet and my kind of people. 

Once I was sure nothing was coming out of me, I headed down to town for a few Skype dates and then to the lake to relax.  I spent a few hours reading under the shade of a palm tree and listening to the sounds of the water crashing on the shore.  It was so serene and peaceful and reminded me of my weekends in San Diego.  Except in San Diego I never saw topless Mayan women bathing in the water or was surrounded by a million dirty hippies.  Don’t get me wrong, we have hippies in SD, I even consider myself one sometimes.  But we’re the clean kind (at least when I decide to fight the cold shower).  Not the dirty, loud, druggy ones that give the rest of us Gringos a bad name here. Locals here may not have a lot of money, but they place high value on looking presentable.  So it's hard for them to understand why a foreigner, who to them should have money, would intentionally look (and smell) so scruffy.

Before I piss some of you off, let me explain.  I’ve realized something here that I’ve been borderline discovering for a while.  I am a travel snob.  I’ve always known I was one when it came to seeing sights and doing things that everyone claims are “so incredible” and I'm like, “yeah, it was okay, but I saw way better in PLACE A or B, etc.” But, now I’m realizing that my backpacker mentality has changed.  All the time I spent traveling last year, I loved meeting other travelers and was always jealous of the people I would see who lived in the fabulous places I was merely visiting.  I always wondered what it would be like to be one of them.  And now that I’m one of them, I want nothing to do with the travelers.  I know, I kind of hate me for it too.  I mean, I’m not cruel or anything towards them.  But after working all week all I want to do is relax at the lake.  So when I head there and find a bunch of people blasting their music, dancing around, camping out in tents and hammocks, dry humping in public, and generally overtaking the place with loudness (yes, I realize I sound like I’m a bitter 80-year old), it’s disturbing and I can’t help but feel bad that this is the impression that locals have of foreigners.  And, sadly, as a foreigner, I’m lumped into this category and it gives the rest of us who don’t act that way a bad name and a harder time living here.   So, now that I think about it, let me rephrase.  I have nothing against travelers; I have something against loud, obnoxious, ignorant people.  



And, just to clarify, I have met some really nice travelers in the past few weeks here and I like them just fine.  I just have to choose where to put my energy too since I’m living here.  I’d rather invest my time getting to know people who also live here and can become my friends than people who will be leaving in a few days.  Anyway, I did enjoy my time at the lake and then I decided that to celebrate my recovering stomach’s victory, I’d get a pizza! I had a difficult time finding a place that both makes pizza, and makes them on Sundays but after some time, I found one.  It was an over-priced touristy restaurant, FE.  It was a decent pizza and just what I needed! I wrapped the rest up since I had to order an entire one (no slices here) and went home for a nap, some more reading, and blogging.  I also had a surprise visit from a teacher at my school, Karin.  She is also brand new and is part Columbian, Armenian, and Canadian.  She had come looking for Anderson and we ended up chatting for a bit.  It was a great way to end my weekend and prep for my workweek.  (Disclaimer: If workweek is spelled wrong, blame spell check.  I don’t think it looks right as one word, without a hyphen, but spell check keeps yelling at me that it is).


No comments:

Post a Comment