Translate

Monday 25 February 2013

Days 5 and 6: Poisoning Myself and Burning Toilet Paper


January 25th & 26th, 2013  (No, I'm not a month behind on my dates...just a month behind on my posting)

Friday, Friday, Friday!!!! I love Fridays! I worked out in the morning to a “video” on my MAC and Aniceto delivered my brand-new shelves and nightstand for my room.  He’s a carpenter and built them himself for me.  He also asked me for a list of anything else I wanted so I requested a toile-paper holder and….ask and you shall receive!
I would have never thought to make a toilet paper holder out of wood...but I try to avoid plastic so I'm very happy about it!


I went to work in the morning and had a meeting with Josh to go over the week.  After that, I called it a day and went to town to buy some veggies and head home.  I met a really nice local girl at the veggie stand and I’ve seen her almost daily since and we always say “Hola, amiga!” since neither one of us remembers the other ones name but know we should J  I made myself a shake and then took a nap…and then I woke up, violently ill…really VIOLENTLY ill.  I was up all day and night sick, out both ends.  I’ll spare you any more details, but suffice it to say, it was not fun! 

Thankfully, by Saturday, it had stopped, but I was still weak and scared to eat or do much.  I was craving a ginger ail so I staggered into town to get one and that was all I had until late afternoon when I had an egg and some beans I had made the day before.  During the day, I just napped, watched movies, and tried to gain back energy.  I did manage to wash a few clothes, which actually takes energy here since I wash them by hand, but that took it all out of me so I called it a day. 
My multi-trashcan set up---food waste, plastics, paper all separate.

Oh, and I cleaned my house a bit, including the fun task of burning my toile paper.  There is not trash collection here so the system is as follows: organic waste—you compost, plastics, paper, etc.—I collect and hand over to Aniceto (not sure what he does with it), and toile paper—well, you burn it! We also burnt our trash in Paraguay, and anyone who has ever lived somewhere that they do this knows the distinct smell of burning trash that hits around 5 or 6 pm every evening.  I made my way to the TP burning pit and was too scared to do it alone so I asked 2 construction workers (who are building a house next door) to help me.  Nothing like burning someone else’s used toilet paper for them for a first meeting!  I was glad they had strong stomachs ‘cuz mine isn’t  that great to begin with and after a night like mine, I wasn’t sure I could last throughout the burning.  Gross, gross, gross! I’m still not sure what caused the food poisoning--there are too many “could be’s” like the water or fruits/vegetables.  Since I’m not giving up water or fruits and veggies anytime soon, I’ve convinced myself that it was the shake I had before my nap since the next day the milk smelled bad.  So there we have it, I poisoned myself.  Way to go, Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment