Translate

Friday 1 March 2013

Day 21: Settling In


Monday, Feb. 11, 2013

I know it sounds impossible with today being a Monday and all, but it was a good day!  Well, besides the fact that they decided to turn off the water in all of the town so when I returned home dirty and sweaty from a great game of soccer I couldn’t shower, wash my hands, or wash dishes. This was yet another time I was grateful for packing baby wipes since at least I could wash my hands a bit.  And of course, I had filled a pot with water last night and dumped it this morning when the water was on for a few minutes---dope! Oh well, such is life!

Back to the good parts of today.  Work is finally starting to become manageable.  It’s less overwhelming and I’ve established routines and systems so I can at least fake like I know what I’m doing J The food today was good. Mid-morning snack was tostadas with pasta, tomato and carrot sauce (sounds gross but was actually pretty good). Lunch was a bean soup with tamales and watermelon.  I also had an afternoon snack of a fresh banana, right from the school grounds.  
Some of my colleagues at morning circle time at work.


In the morning, the guy selling baskets came back with a big one that I had asked him about last week.  Of course, I felt guilty and bad that he came all the way back (from out of town), carrying a big one for me so I felt kind of obligated to buy it.  I wasn’t sure it would fit in my house so he left it for me to try and pay when he came back later…except he didn’t come back while I was still there.  I hope he will come back so I haven’t just stolen a hamper basket. Then I’d really feel guilty.

So, after lunch, I went home to try the hamper, and coincidentally, to bring all my dirty clothes back to school for Sabela, the housekeeper at school, to wash them for me.  Normally I do them on my own, but my back was hurting and I thought I’d splurge the $3 for her to do it this once. 

I actually left school on time, at 3:30, and had some downtime in the hammock before heading to soccer at 4pm.  I met Lilly and Nicki at the field and later Mel and Aneke came to join us.  All are moms from the school except Aneke.  It was a fun game of 3 v 2. Was not very competitive but nice just to move around a bit and be social.   On the way back, I cut through the plaza and ran into several families playing in the park.  I also delivered a message to Dave from Nicki so she could sneak home and cook dinner without her kids seeing her.  I love the small-town and seeing everyone wherever you go.

Back at home, my favorite little 5-year-old Guatemalan, Fabio, was waiting for me.  He’s Aniceto’s son and as cute as can be.  I won him over with the free Angry Bird coins that come in my chips bags and now we’re best buds.  Today he hung out with me eating pineapple and I introduced him to peanut butter, for which his dad thanked me after he requested they buy it now.  He also made sure to tell me that the other “gringos” were also eating pineapple in the yard. J

I ate my leftovers, pineapple, and some hot chocolate…but still had to run out for some last-minute chips.  On my way, I ran into one of the construction workers from next door.   He’s a young 15 year old boy (I’m totally guessing here, but around that) and remembered my name.  It was yet another reminder that poco a poco, I’m becoming a member of the community and I need to have patience with myself.

So, now I’m lying down, packed and ready for the night.  Still no water in the house and I don’t really have matching clothes since I gave them all away to be washed (I hope she has water to wash them) so I’m wearing a lovely combo of an Orioles t-shirt, multi-colored leggings, and a wool sweater. Hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment