Translate

Sunday 17 March 2013

Typical Weekend

Sunday, March 17th,  2013


It's been a great weekend.  Friday I had to go to Pana for work and was able to do lots of shopping that I both needed and didn't.  Saturday I went for an early morning run with Loki (and a few other of his dog buds that tag along with us. We also ran into his brother {and owner} along the way) and then stopped by the store just to get some eggs.  As life goes in San Marcos, that 5 minute-errand turned into an entire event.  I went to La Marquencita, one of only a handful of stores in town.  Since it also happens to be the one that I most frequent (and belongs to the fiance of Maria, who I spent 2 hours naked with in a hot sauna this week), we're pretty tight.  While paying for my eggs, I asked where I could buy tortillas.  That somehow turned into a 30-minute conversation about how he could have Under Armor workout pants, like the ones I was wearing, sent here for his wife.  I was beyond starving at this point and watching the 2 brothers eat their yogurt while I withered away to nothing was not great.

With food on my mind, I walked to town on the hunt for an avocado to eat with my eggs. Why didn't I buy that at the store, you ask? Because you can't get fruits or veggies there, only canned goods and such.  It was early so there was only one vendor open and I lucked out to buy my avocado.  As I was purchasing it, Johnny, a father at the school and his son, Yago, walked up to open up his cafe.  They invited me for tea and fresh-baked goods and we sat in the patio enjoying the food and conversation.  At one point, the woman from next door popped over to tell us they had robbed her restaurant (again) last night.  All this was next to a house I considered renting.  Glad I didn't!

By now, my one errand had turned into an hour and a half ordeal.  But, with a little fuel in my belly, I set off for tortillas.  There are always kids and women selling them on the streets, but not now, when I wanted them.  I had to ask around where I could get some and on my way, I stopped to buy a coconut (I'm now friends with the guy, another Don Jose (the 3rd in town that I know of) and he gives me the water in a container and the meat scraped out in another bag so I can do as I please with it).  Last weekend I made coconut ice-cream, whipped cream, milk, shredded coconut for a home-made granola mix, and a sauce...all from one little coconut!

I finally made my way to buy some fresh tortillas.  Turns out it's a little house up in the next barrio from mine.  Only about a 2-minute walk and where all the locals go so it's good stuff and cheap!  I had a nice breakfast of eggs, veggies, tortillas and avocado and then cooked up a storm of home-made pasta sauce and a natural flea remedy for Loki of rosemary and limes.  I was going to bathe him in it yesterday but it rained on and off all day so it was too muddy and gross to do so.  Hoping to get to it today. *Update, I did "bathe" him, but it was more like a comedic routine trying to get him into the bathroom since he knew what was coming and laid down, deadweight so I couldn't move him.  I spent the rest of the day working on projects, including making a lamp, Macgyvering a way to make my shower a bathtub, and chiseling the wood for my sofa. Yup, used a hammer and chisel. Good way to get out aggression!
Loki, the guard dog

In the evening, we ordered our pizza that is delivered on tuk-tuk and had a nice candlelit dinner (the electricity was out) of pizza and salad with good friends. As I left my house to get the pizza, I heard the door shut and my heart immediately sank as I realized that my new lock I had just installed now meant I actually had to carry a key with me as the door automatically locks.  Luckily, I had my phone with me and had already given Elder (my friend and "cleaning boy") a key so he came running (literally) to open the house for me.  We had planned to watch a movie after dinner but the power was out.  Two of my friends, Cle (German) and Yarden (Israeli) left and as Kimberly and Daniel were getting ready to leave the lights came back on.  So Kim and I played with their adorable baby, Luminar, for awhile and chatted girl talk until late.  They are my neighbors and really nice to have next door!

Today I woke up early again (to the church loud-speaker) and finalized my upcoming trip details, confirming and changing hotels and such. Later in the day, I baked a honey-dijon mustard fish and made a mango chutney sauce for it.  Had no idea what I was doing, but it turned out good! I'm really enjoying experimenting with cooking. I also hung a mirror, hooks for my purses, packed for my trip, finished reading a book, suntanned, did an avocado face and hear treatment, made a rice-neck pillow, Skyped my family, painted another mirror, and made recycled-paper all while hanging out with Loki and any given amount of random dogs that appear now.  He is like the dog mayor of the town and brings all sorts of them around.  I'm like a crazy cat lady, except with dogs now.

My bamboo/yarn lamp
Also, used that sauce and tortillas from yesterday to make some mini pizzas--did I mention I splurged and bought myself a toaster oven last week? Great purchase on my part!It's been a nice day at home.  Oh, my "basket guy" also popped by the house to confirm my custom-order and take a down-payment.  He also offered to bring me some patio furniture since a neighbor of mine is ordering some and he could get me a set on the same delivery, much cheaper.  I've been wanting a set since I got here, didn't know he could get them, but the universe supplied...I love how it works here--Just lay out suntanning and the goods come to you.  It was a typical, great, San Marcos weekend!

2 comments: