Translate

Monday 19 August 2013

The Power of Sports


Nelson Mandela once said that “Sport has the power to change the world…it has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair. It is more powerful than government in breaking down racial barriers.”

The new soccer season started last week and I played my first organized-league game since arriving in Guatemala.  Although it did not end with a score I would have liked (5-0 to be exact), : ( I enjoyed playing in the game and sharing the field with my teammates. I was also completely surprised by the turnout of the town to watch the games.  There were A LOT of people there.  Which made me especially nervous since I'm the only "gringa" girl on the team (and only one other in the league, who is amazing) so I had all eyes on me and a lot of pressure to not be a total moron on the field.

                                          Can you spot me (the "gringa") in this photo?! : ) On a side-note, these have to be the world's most unflattering uniforms ever!

I'm amazed at how much joy the season has brought to me already and it's only just beginning! Besides the obvious love of the sport and rush of endorphins from exercise, it's helped forge deeper bonds with my community than I expected, especially after just one game.  One of the players on the competing team is a local mom at the school and we both smiled at each other during the game with a mutual look of "Hey, I didn't know you played soccer too! No wonder you're so awesome! Let's be friends now!"

The next day at school, a few of the kids who were watching the game came up to me with a look of new admiration (or pity, I couldn't tell) and one of them so non-chalantly asked me, "Why did you lose?" in a way that suggested we had chosen that outcome on purpose.  I teased him and told him we needed his coaching skills, and lo and behold, he showed up to our next practice, eager to help (it got rained out, but that's not his fault).

To top this off, today (Sunday) I was walking down the street this afternoon and a local kid who I had never met before stopped me on the street. The following conversation ensued:

Kid:"Hey, are you the girl who plays soccer?"
Me: "Yes," I replied, excited for the recognition.
Kid:"Your team lost the game last week, right?"
Me: "Yes," I responded again (with a little less enthusiasm and getting ready to defend our reason for
        "choosing" to lose again).
Kid: "But you play soccer. You will win again. God Bless you. Have a great day."

And just like that, he and his buddy were on their way again and I was struck how the simple act of playing soccer can open up a world of comradery amongst people I didn't even know were watching.

                                  
                                                         Go Team San Marcos!

I love sports.  I love kids.  I love small-town San Marcos life!

2 comments:

  1. This all made me smile so much and miss san marcos even more than i always do.... go team san marcos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, we miss you too!!! It's great to hear from you--come back anytime!!! : )

    ReplyDelete