Translate

Wednesday 28 August 2013

Simple Ideas--Eco-friendly Orange peel planters

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best ones.  I had some tomato seeds I wanted to plant the other day.  I wanted to start them in planters indoors before transplanting outside.  I was looking around for containers to use when I spotted the orange peels left from my freshly-squeezed juice that morning so I decided, why not?!

The alternative was to just throw the peels in the compost bin so I went for it.  It was simple, efficient, and I think they look quite nice.  I'm curious to see if they work since I'm wondering if the acidic content may affect the seed growth. Only time with tell.

Step 1: Slice oranges in half and squeeze out the juice using a juicer, like this:

Step 2: Scoop dirt into the hollowed-out skins

Step3: Plant seeds, water, place in sun

Step4: Drink fresh orange juice and enjoy your new eco-friendly planters.  Ta Da!! (Note the chocolate bin also used as a planter. Worked great too! Please do NOT note my dirty windows.)

                        











No comments:

Post a Comment