Translate

Friday 5 July 2013

Playing for Happiness

This week, I've been back at sports full force.  My entire life I've been an athlete, playing on 3 teams at once at some points in time (soccer, track, triathlons, marathons, gynmastics, softball--to name a few).  The past few years I've been inconsistent in training from so much travel and I've really missed it.  

In the past 2 weeks I've joined 2 teams--soccer and basketball.  It's the first time in my life I'm not a midget and thus felt brave enough to try b-ball...I'm actually on the taller side of the team : ) It's been awesome working out but also getting to know the other girls.  So far I'm the only foreigner on the team and it's likely only one other will join.  I'm told it gets quite competitive on the court which is interesting since it's a very non-confrontational culture here.  Apparently, it all comes out on the court--should make for some exciting games!

We've been training hard several times a week, including a few "bootcamp" type sessions that I've been leading.  It's been fun being in the trainer role and back into a consistent workout routine.  Waking up at 5:30 am to workout before work hasn't been too peachy but it's worth it! (Being the language nerd that I am, I've taken advantage of our time and been incorporating learning Kaqchikel and teaching them English while working out!) Our seasons start in about a month and I'm really looking forward to it.  The way this is headed, I'm hoping they'll be no more rainy-day blues for me since working out is the best antidepressant around! : )


No comments:

Post a Comment